The Rochdale Young Advisors team was established in 2014 and has grown considerably over the past 4 years. They are a strong team of 11 young people who are passionate about their local community and making positive change for those who live in it, they offer unique views on community life, have key knowledge and skills.
They are ‘Experts by Experience’ because they have first-hand experience of using services in their area, combined with their nationally accredited qualifications they are able to put across their expert knowledge in a constructive way and offer solutions which are practical for professionals and young people. The team has a main focus on mental health but have also worked on other projects such as LGBT+ inclusion and acceptance of diversity.
The diverse team has worked on various projects such as:
- Designing a unique activity based Self Help Book - Consulting with young people and professionals, utilising local talent for illustrations in the book and using a local printing company - the book aims to improve the emotional health of young people by learning about themselves, learning how to cope with difficulties, accept themselves and become resilient.
- Held a #YouthStandTogether event in light of the Manchester terrorist attack to bring young people together in a safe place to celebrate their diverse community.
- Designing and leading campaigns on topics such as bullying and self-harm, with an evidenced reach of close to 30,000 people online.
- Delivering training on gender and workshops on wellbeing.
- Consulting with LGBT+ young people on what it’s like being a young LGBT+ in Rochdale, this was put in to a report and recommendations made for service providers to become more LGBT+ inclusive
- Researching the needs of 18 to 25 year olds, interviewing 25 young adults and 19 relevant local professionals from various backgrounds and ages and producing an easy-read 26 page youth proofed document for commissioners and service providers to inform local commissioning requirements.
This team are experienced in:
- Delivering Training
- Youth Work
- Report Writing
- Youth Proofing
Issues this team work on:
- Community Development
- Mental Health
Laura Beesley, Team Leader Sure Start/Early Help & Schools
“The Young Advisors have made a significant and important contribution to the co-design of emotional and mental health services for young people. The Young Advisors brought a perspective and experience that generated a different type of conversation in our co-design sessions. The final specification is much richer as a consequence of their engagement.” -
Gaynor Hodson - Programme Manager, Pennine Care Foundation Trust
"Creative approaches, commitment and drive which enable positive engagement with young people. Promote the vision of what Children and Young People want services to look like and how services should support Children and Young People. Offer Meaningful bespoke analysis and awareness
A welcomed view which professionals hold dear, Young Advisors are truly ace, always there to support you with a friendly face."
Rachel McDonald - Commissioning Project Manager, Children and Maternity
"The 18 to 25 year old commission is a fantastic piece of work and easy to read"
This team is hosted by:
3-11 Drake Street,
Rochdale, OL16 1RE